What is the best air fryer? The question might seem simple but in fact, it can be more complicated than that. There are many things to consider and many brands to choose from. If you follow the recommendations here and choose from the list you will not be disappointed with the flavor or quality of the food cooked in your air fryer. We have done the research so that you don’t have too. We have considered many different aspects, brands, prices, and sizes. All the work is done, just read below to get an idea of which air fryer fits your budget and family.
What is an Air Fryer and how does it work?
An Air fryer is a kitchen appliance that gives you the taste and looks of having fried food without the expected grease, fat content or cleanup. It uses hot air and an internal fan to circulate the air around the food at high speed, effectively cooking the items you wished fried and leaving a crispy layer reminiscent of traditionally fried food. It’s referred to as the Maillard effect. The Maillard effect is the chemical reaction between amino acids and sugars that gives food it’s distinct flavor, and that is what the Air fryer replicates. It causes a natural chemical reaction in order to give you, a healthier and more efficient fried food.
Air Fryer Vs Deep Fryer
A deep fryer is also a kitchen appliance that fries your food. But unlike the Air Fryer is requires a good amount of space, clean up and doesn’t give you the health benefits. With a deep fryer, you are given a container that you have to fill with oil and then that oil is heated to a temperature you set. You then place the food you want frying inside the oil to be coated and saturated. It tastes great but adds extra calories and an unhealthy element to your food. On top of being unhealthy, it causes a mess. Most times oil splatters onto the counter tops and adding to the post-meal cleanup. But an Air Fryer uses up to 75% less oil and less clean up.
A deep fryer also requires you to leave a pot of oil around your kitchen until the next time it is used. Or if you decide to clean it, the clean-up is messy and time-consuming. Finding out where to dispose the oil, scrubbing the pot and then finding a place to store it. The air fryer doesn’t just fry food but grills, roasts, steams and bakes. The deep fryer cannot say the same. It has one purpose and one purpose only. For the space, mess and unhealthy problem of the deep fryer, the Air Fryer is the solution.
Best Air Fryer Review 2017
Below is a list the Best 5 Air Fryers on the market. All have their advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are looking for. Whether it be upgraded technology, larger cooking capacity, safety features or a compact size. Every item on this list will produce the best Air Fried Food you can imagine. Below are the Air fryer reviews conducted and collected for your use. All you have to do is choose one and then select your next meal.
Philips XL Air Fryer, The Original Air fryer, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black, HD9240/94
Philips debuted the original air fryer in 2010. Using the patented Rapid Air technology, you can get even more out of your food. Since they first debuted, Philips air fryers have come a long way and added some pretty awesome improvements. The Philips XL Air fryer is larger and able to hold a family sized meal or 2.65 pounds. It is ideal for the busy family who wants a quick tasteful meal that is also healthy. Voted on to Oprah’s favorite things list in 2016.
Compared to the other Air fryers on the market, the Phillips is the most powerful and has the largest cooking capacity of them all. It is priced at around $299.99. Though on the expensive side it is well worth the money due to the fact that it replaces several kitchen appliances and combines them into one.Besides, we rated it as the best air fryer among our list.
- Dimensions: 16.7 inches deep x12.4 inches deep x 11.9 inches high
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Watts: 1800 Watts
- Internal cord storage
- Amazon Customer Rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
- A digital display
- Color options, Black or White
- 60-minute timer
- Recipe booklet of 25 Air fryer recipes
- Temperature adjustment up to 390 degrees and a preset button to save your favorite food, for quick and easy cooking.
- Large capacity great for a large family or gathering.
- All attachments are sold separately
- Does tend to smoke while cooking from excessive grease build up
- Involves a learning curve
- Large appliance for counter tops and storage. Also, heavy, may be hard to move.
Go WISE USA GW22621 4th Generation Electric Air Fryer, Black, 3.7 QT, 1400W + Recipe Book
One of best Air fryers for under a hundred dollars. The GoWise is an excellent choice if you don’t want to invest a bunch of money into a new appliance. Unlike the Philips, it only has a 30-minute timer but goes into standby mode when finished cooking. A Removable basket makes cleaning a breeze and food transfer easier. A touch screen is equipped and can be set manually for cooking time or you can choose from one of Seven built-in smart programs to save time (Chips, Meat, Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, and Fish). A Button guard was installed as a safety function so that it prevents accidental basket detachment. A wide range of temperature adjustment gives you flexibility. ETL certified to give you extra confidence when buying a new appliance for you and your family.
- Dimensions: 8.5x9x12 in, weighs about 12 pounds
- Watts: 1400 and has a power cord that measures about 39’.
Below are a few pros and con when considering this model:
- Touch screen accessibility in order to manually program cooking time, or for easier and quicker cooking select from 1 of 7 built-in smart programs: Chips, Meat, Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, and Fish.
- A button guard prevents accidental detachment of the basket.
- Temperature adjustment from 175°F – 400°F allows you flexibility in preparing a variety of foods from crispy fried to juicy wings.
- ETL Certified. (Complies with North America Safety Standards)
- The detachable basket makes it easy to transfer food to the plate.
- Only has one accessory available, A baking pan with handle. Other Brands and models make many more accessories such as skewers, rakes, and pans.
- The outside surface of the machine becomes very hot when it reaches and stays at a cooking temperature. Be cautious.
- The basket doesn’t have a large capacity.
T-fal FZ7002 ACTi Fry Low-Fat Healthy Air Fryer Dishwasher Safe Multi-Cooker, 2.2-Pound, Black
The T-fal brand is the only brand that advertises a patented heat pulse technology that ensures evenly cooked food. ACTi fry is what they named it and is the result of a decade or more of research and development. It uses a specialized spoon that is included to measure out accurate amounts of oil usually only measuring a tablespoon or less. For the health conscious person, this one would be your best bet. Instead of a removable basket, it uses a ceramic nonstick pan for easy cleanup and can hold a capacity of 2.2 pounds of food. It possesses an LCD screen and automatic countdown clock and timer and can be washed in a dishwasher or with a soft sponge. This brand has the second largest cooking capacity next to the Phillips brand.
- Dimensions: 19.1 x 11.8 x 15.6 inches so it actually sits flatter as opposed to its competition
- Weighs 11.9 pounds
- Watts:1400 Watts
- Amazon Customer Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars
- Simple on/off switch and digital countdown timer with buzzer for easy monitoring
- Secure lid for safe splatter-free cooking; stay-cool exterior; filter for odorless cooking
- Color recipe book (38 recipes) and measuring spoon included.
- dishwasher-safe parts for quick cleanup
- Large cooking capacity 2.2 pounds.
- The External material remains cool and offers a steam free lid.
- Only comes in one color, no customization
- LCD screen instead of LED
- Priced at over $100
Avalon Bay Air Fryer with Bonus Baking Set and Recipe Book, 2.65 Quart Capacity, Rapid Air Circulation Technology, Black, AB-Airfryer150B
The Avalon Bay Air Fryer is one the cheapest on this list but don’t let that fool you. It comes in a variety of sizes depending on your need and includes a reheating option. Boosts a no oil needed function and a drip basket to let the natural oils of the meat cook out and then drip below. Also, includes attachments for baking, and roasting. More bang for your buck in that it includes two additional attachments for baking and roasting. The cookbook gives even the most novice Air fryer excellent ideas as to where to start. Non-stick feet, help the device stay in place and secure. With an automatic standby mode, you won’t have to worry if you turned it off. It enters the standby mode automatically after the timer goes off.
- Dimensions: 14.3x 12.8×12.5 inches (Wider than a coffee makes)
- Weight: 10.8 pounds. Watts: 1400Watts
- Amazon Customer rating of 4.3 out of 5 Stars
The pros and cons from what we have found are as follows:
- Adjustable temperature ranges from 200-400 degrees
- Rapid Air Circulation Technology allows the hot air to circulate with speed and precision
- Features non-slip feet. To keep the device from slipping when taking out and putting in food.
- 30 Minute timer with an automatic standby mode when the cooking time is complete.
- 52 Page Avalon Bay Cook Book for Air Fryers included.
- Reheating option
- Baking accessories are included
- Priced at under $100.
- Cooking capacity is small
- Have to adjust timer manually, if cooking time is over 30 min.
- Not dishwasher safe
Air Fryer by Cozyna, Low Fat Healthy and Multi Cooker with Rapid Air Circulation System, 3.2 L with 2 e-cookbooks Included (over 50 recipes)
Air fryer by Cozyna is the air fryer for you if you want the added protection of a warranty when you buy something. Coming in at around $100, it comes with 2 cookbooks chalk full of recipes and a 2-year manufacturer warranty. It also comes with a Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product, you have 30 days to get your money back. You can buy with confidence and reassurance that you will get your money worth. The Air Fryer by Cozyna is a standard air fryer in that is does not have a touch screen or LCD display, but cooks evenly and works great. Comes with 2 cookbooks to get you started off your Air Fryer journey. The compact design ensures that it will be useful without taking up too much space. Adjustable temperature gives you versatility in what you can cook and for how long.
- Dimensions:15.5 x13.5×13 inches
- Weight: 13.1 pounds
- Watts: 1500 Watts
- Amazon customer rating: 4.4 stars out of 5
The pros and cons are as follows:
- Works best with frozen foods
- Easy to clean
- Compact design doesn’t take up much room
- Adjustable temperature
- Included cookbooks
- Warranty and money back guaran
- Tee is included Larger cooking capacity
- Does not have the capability to be used as a steamer.
- Does not have the technology of other Air fryers. It is standard.
How to Clean and take care of an Air Fryer
Cleaning and care of an Air Fryer is quick and easy but specific cleaning depends on the brand you acquire. Most on the list have dishwasher safe parts but some require a soft or non-abrasive sponge and some soap and water. The best thing to do is after a use makes sure that the device is cooled down as to avoid unwanted burns. Then remove the dishwasher-safe parts and place in the dishwasher. The heating element will need to be hand washed with a soft sponge so as not to damage the coating or element itself. Light soap and warm water are best. Wash off any oil or food debris, rinse off and dry. Once everything is cleaned and dried, store in a place that it is easily accessible because you will be using it often.
No matter which Air fryer review you use in your decision, if the air fryer comes from this list you are making a great and informed choice. An Air fryer is the only appliances that can deliver the fried taste of traditional fried food without the added calories and fat. With little to no oil used and hot air, air fryers have the capability to give you delicious as well as health conscious foods in a quick and easy manner. More than that though an Air Fryer helps eliminate several household appliances and clear up space in the kitchen. When utilized it can save time, space and calories by just being made available in your kitchen. Buy one today and you will not be disappointed.
Related Post: Air Fryer Vs Nuwave Oven