Last Updated on
What is the best air fryer? The question might seem simple but in fact, it can be more complicated than that. There are many things to consider and many brands to choose from. If you follow the recommendations here and choose from the list you will not be disappointed with the flavor or quality of the food cooked in your air fryer. We have done the research so that you don’t have too. We have considered many different aspects, brands, prices, and sizes. All the work is done, just read below to get an idea of which air fryer fits your budget and family.
- 1 What is an Air Fryer and how does it work?
- 2 Air Fryer Vs Deep Fryer
- 3 Best Air Fryer Review 2019
- 3.1 Philips XL Air Fryer, The Original Air fryer, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black, HD9240/94
- 3.2 Go WISE USA GW22621 4th Generation Electric Air Fryer, Black, 3.7 QT, 1400W + Recipe Book
- 3.3 T-fal FZ7002 ACTi Fry Low-Fat Healthy Air Fryer Dishwasher Safe Multi-Cooker, 2.2-Pound, Black
- 3.4 Avalon Bay Air Fryer with Bonus Baking Set and Recipe Book, 2.65 Quart Capacity, Rapid Air Circulation Technology, Black, AB-Airfryer150B
- 3.5 Air Fryer by Cozyna, Low Fat Healthy and Multi Cooker with Rapid Air Circulation System, 3.2 L with 2 e-cookbooks Included (over 50 recipes)
- 3.6 Power Air Fryer XL (5.3 QT Deluxe, Black)
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
What is an Air Fryer and how does it work?
An Air fryer is a kitchen appliance that gives you the taste and looks of having fried food without the expected grease, fat content or cleanup. It uses hot air and an internal fan to circulate the air around the food at high speed, effectively cooking the items you wished fried and leaving a crispy layer reminiscent of traditionally fried food.
It refers to as the Maillard effect. The Maillard effect is the chemical reaction between amino acids and sugars that gives food it’s distinct flavor, and that is what the Air fryer replicates. It causes a natural chemical reaction in order to give you, a healthier and more efficient fried food.
Air Fryer Vs Deep Fryer
A deep fryer is also a kitchen appliance that fries your food. But unlike the Air Fryer is requires a good amount of space, clean up and doesn’t give you the health benefits. With a deep fryer, you are given a container that you have to fill with oil and then that oil is heated to a temperature you set. You then place the food you want frying inside the oil to be coated and saturated.
It tastes great but adds extra calories and an unhealthy element to your food. On top of being unhealthy, it causes a mess. Most times oil splatters onto the countertops and adding to the post-meal cleanup. But an Air Fryer uses up to 75% less oil and less clean up.
A deep fryer also requires you to leave a pot of oil around your kitchen until the next time you use it. Or if you decide to clean it, the clean-up is messy and time-consuming. Finding out where to dispose the oil, scrubbing the pot and then finding a place to store it.
The air fryer doesn’t just fry food but grills, roasts, steams and bakes. The deep fryer cannot say the same. It has one purpose and one purpose only. For the space, mess and unhealthy problem of the deep fryer, the Air Fryer is the solution.
Apart from these types, turkey fryer is another variety which is specially built for frying turkey.Smartkitchenidea has a great collection of best oil less turkey fryer reviews.
Best Air Fryer Review 2019
Below is a list the Best 5 Air Fryers on the market. All have their advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are looking for. Whether it be upgraded technology, larger cooking capacity, safety features or a compact size. Every item on this list will produce the best Air Fried Food you can imagine. Below are the Air fryer reviews conducted and collected for your use. All you have to do is choose one and then select your next meal.
Philips XL Air Fryer, The Original Air fryer, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black, HD9240/94
Philips debuted the original air fryer in 2010. Using the patented Rapid Air technology, you can get even more out of your food. Since they first debuted, Philips air fryers have come a long way and added some pretty awesome improvements. The Philips XL Air fryer is larger and able to hold a family sized meal or 2.65 pounds. It is ideal for the busy family who wants a quick tasteful meal that is also healthy. Voted on to Oprah’s favorite things list in 2016.
Compared to the other Air fryers on the market, the Phillips is the most powerful and has the largest cooking capacity of them all. It is priced at around $299.99. Though on the expensive side it is well worth the money due to the fact that it replaces several kitchen appliances and combines them into one.Besides, we rated it as the best air fryer among our list.
- Dimensions: 16.7 inches deep x12.4 inches deep x 11.9 inches high
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Watts: 1800 Watts
- Internal cord storage
- Amazon Customer Rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
- A digital display
- Color options, Black or White
- 60-minute timer
- Recipe booklet of 25 Air fryer recipes
- Temperature adjustment up to 390 degrees and a preset button to save your favorite food, for quick and easy cooking.
- Large capacity great for a large family or gathering.
- All attachments are sold separately
- Does tend to smoke while cooking from excessive grease build up
- Involves a learning curve
- Large appliance for counter tops and storage. Also, heavy, may be hard to move.
Go WISE USA GW22621 4th Generation Electric Air Fryer, Black, 3.7 QT, 1400W + Recipe Book
One of best Air fryers for under a hundred dollars. The GoWise is an excellent choice if you don’t want to invest a bunch of money into a new appliance. Unlike the Philips, it only has a 30-minute timer but goes into standby mode when finished cooking. A Removable basket makes cleaning a breeze and food transfer easier. A touch screen is equipped and can be set manually for cooking time or you can choose from one of Seven built-in smart programs to save time (Chips, Meat, Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, and Fish).
A Button guard was installed as a safety function so that it prevents accidental basket detachment. A wide range of temperature adjustment gives you flexibility. ETL certified to give you extra confidence when buying a new appliance for you and your family.
- Dimensions: 8.5x9x12 in, weighs about 12 pounds
- Watts: 1400 and has a power cord that measures about 39’.
Below are a few pros and con when considering this model:
- Touch screen accessibility in order to manually program cooking time, or for easier and quicker cooking select from 1 of 7 built-in smart programs: Chips, Meat, Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, and Fish.
- A button guard prevents accidental detachment of the basket.
- Temperature adjustment from 175°F – 400°F allows you flexibility in preparing a variety of foods from crispy fried to juicy wings.
- ETL Certified. (Complies with North America Safety Standards)
- The detachable basket makes it easy to transfer food to the plate.
- Only has one accessory available, A baking pan with handle. Other Brands and models make many more accessories such as skewers, rakes, and pans.
- The outside surface of the machine becomes very hot when it reaches and stays at a cooking temperature. Be cautious.
- The basket doesn’t have a large capacity.
T-fal FZ7002 ACTi Fry Low-Fat Healthy Air Fryer Dishwasher Safe Multi-Cooker, 2.2-Pound, Black
The T-fal brand is the only brand that advertises a patented heat pulse technology that ensures evenly cooked food. ACTi fry is what they named it and is the result of a decade or more of research and development. It uses a specialized spoon that is included to measure out accurate amounts of oil usually only measuring a tablespoon or less. For the health conscious person, this one would be your best bet.
Instead of a removable basket, it uses a ceramic nonstick pan for easy cleanup and can hold a capacity of 2.2 pounds of food. It possesses an LCD screen and automatic countdown clock and timer and can be washed in a dishwasher or with a soft sponge. This brand has the second largest cooking capacity next to the Phillips brand.
- Dimensions: 19.1 x 11.8 x 15.6 inches so it actually sits flatter as opposed to its competition
- Weighs 11.9 pounds
- Watts:1400 Watts
- Amazon Customer Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars
- Simple on/off switch and digital countdown timer with buzzer for easy monitoring
- Secure lid for safe splatter-free cooking; stay-cool exterior; filter for odorless cooking
- Color recipe book (38 recipes) and measuring spoon included.
- dishwasher-safe parts for quick cleanup
- Large cooking capacity 2.2 pounds.
- The External material remains cool and offers a steam free lid.
- Only comes in one color, no customization
- LCD screen instead of LED
- Priced at over $100
Avalon Bay Air Fryer with Bonus Baking Set and Recipe Book, 2.65 Quart Capacity, Rapid Air Circulation Technology, Black, AB-Airfryer150B
The Avalon Bay Air Fryer is one the cheapest on this list but don’t let that fool you. It comes in a variety of sizes depending on your need and includes a reheating option. Boosts a no oil needed function and a dripping basket to let the natural oils of the meat cookout and then drip below. Also, includes attachments for baking, and roasting. More bang for your buck in that it includes two additional attachments for baking and roasting.
The cookbook gives even the most novice Air fryer excellent ideas as to where to start. Non-stick feet, help the device stay in place and secure. With an automatic standby mode, you won’t have to worry if you turned it off. It enters the standby mode automatically after the timer goes off.
- Dimensions: 14.3x 12.8×12.5 inches (Wider than a coffee makes)
- Weight: 10.8 pounds. Watts: 1400Watts
- Amazon Customer rating of 4.3 out of 5 Stars
The pros and cons from what we have found are as follows:
- Adjustable temperature ranges from 200-400 degrees
- Rapid Air Circulation Technology allows the hot air to circulate with speed and precision
- Features non-slip feet. To keep the device from slipping when taking out and putting in food.
- 30 Minute timer with an automatic standby mode when the cooking time is complete.
- 52 Page Avalon Bay Cook Book for Air Fryers included.
- Reheating option
- Baking accessories are included
- Priced at under $100.
- Cooking capacity is small
- Have to adjust timer manually, if cooking time is over 30 min.
- Not dishwasher safe
Air Fryer by Cozyna, Low Fat Healthy and Multi Cooker with Rapid Air Circulation System, 3.2 L with 2 e-cookbooks Included (over 50 recipes)
Air fryer by Cozyna is the air fryer for you if you want the added protection of a warranty when you buy something. Coming in at around $100, it comes with 2 cookbooks chock-full of recipes and a 2-year manufacturer warranty. It also comes with a Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product, you have 30 days to get your money back. You can buy with confidence and reassurance that you will get your money worth.
The Air Fryer by Cozyna is a standard air fryer in that is does not have a touch screen or LCD display, but cooks evenly and works great. Comes with 2 cookbooks to get you started off your Air Fryer journey. The compact design ensures that it will be useful without taking up too much space. Adjustable temperature gives you versatility in what you can cook and for how long.
- Dimensions:15.5 x13.5×13 inches
- Weight: 13.1 pounds
- Watts: 1500 Watts
- Amazon customer rating: 4.4 stars out of 5
The pros and cons are as follows:
- Works best with frozen foods
- Easy to clean
- Compact design doesn’t take up much room
- Adjustable temperature
- Included cookbooks
- Warranty and money back guaran
- Tee is included Larger cooking capacity
- Does not have the capability to be used as a steamer.
- Does not have the technology of other Air fryers. It is standard.
Power Air Fryer XL (5.3 QT Deluxe, Black)
I absolutely love my 5.3 QT Power Air Fryer XL. I make fries a lot, and this fryer saves me a lot of time and effort in doing so. On a few occasions, I’ve made entire meals using only this fryer, including grilled and baked chicken entrees. I could see a lot of families getting a lot of use out of one of these.Enjoy my power air fryer review that i gather from my personal experience.
Lots of Uses – I primarily bought this fryer to make batches of French fries and onion rings but found out that I could do a lot of additional things with it. I regularly make full meals using only this fryer, including a ton of different proteins and seafood. One of the biggest problems I run into at home is not having the time to properly cook my meat and seafood thoroughly, but this piece of equipment solves that. I’ve cooked a few different kinds of fish filets, chicken, pork, and even sausages in this fryer.
A Healthy Alternative to Frying- Frying foods is terribly unhealthy, but using an air fryer isn’t. If you’re trying to lose a few pounds like I am, using this product is a great way to obtain your goals without changing your diet.
The best part is that you don’t sacrifice on taste either — the air fried chicken and fries I’ve made taste just as good as freshly fried fries and grilled chicken. In fact, you don’t have to worry about having excess oil on your food. Like you would with pan-fried foods, which actually makes the food taste less greasy.
Cost Savings- I’ve saved a lot of money by using this air fryer instead of a pan or deep frying, which requires a lot of cooking oil to do. Vegetable oil is expensive if you’re using it in large quantities. The machine pays for itself if you do a reasonable amount of cooking. I’ve had this product for only a few months and it has already paid for itself. This air fryer saves you tens of dollars per month on oil alone.
In addition to oil costs, it’s very electricity efficient and doesn’t use much energy. Simple to Use .l had no idea what an air fryer actually was before I purchased this. A friend of mine has one and seemed to get a lot of use out of it, so I purchased one. It’s similar to a microwave in operation.
A reason why I knew how to operate it almost instantly after taking it out of the box. It’s very easy to clean — all you need to do is take out the filter and run it in the dishwasher. Or rinse it in the sink, almost like a coffee machine with a disposable filter.
Looks nice My biggest problem with a lot of kitchen appliances like these is that they look cheap or childish, but the Power Air Fryer XL looks like a real kitchen appliance.
- Convenient size l don’t have a lot of counter space in my kitchen and don’t have a problem trying to find a place for this.
- It’s also lightweight, so I can store it on a shelf or in a cabinet when I’m not using it.
- The power cord is short -My kitchen has some oddly placed power outlets and the cord is very short. So I have to use an extension cord with this product. The cord should probably be about twice the length it is.
- Gets hot The bottom back part gets hot when it’s cooking, so be careful when using it. The handle doesn’t get hot thankfully, but I can’t grab the back of it when it’s cooking. Features. Automatic shut off so you don’t accidentally leave the appliance on
- Heats air up to 400 degrees with 1500 or 1700 Watts of turbo-cyclonic power. Easy grip handle that is cool to the touch. Lightweight design means it can be picked up and stored easily. Multiple preset programs that save you time and effort
Related Post: Air Fryer Vs Nuwave Oven
Frequently Asked Questions
How big is the Power Air Fryer XL?
A: The Power Air Fryer XL is about 1 cubic foot, maybe about half the size of your average microwave. Or just a little larger than your average 12-quart coffee machine.
How much food can the basket hold?
A: I have the 3.4 QT version, which can comfortably fit 2 average sized filets of chicken or fish, maybe 3 if they are small. The 5.3 QT version can hold a bit more, probably 3-5 filets of chicken or fish. Be careful not to overfill it, because then it won’t cook evenly.
How long does it take to clean? How dirty does it get?
A: The basket can get pretty dirty, but you can wash it easily as well. The outside doesn’t get dirty from normal operation. I haven’t had to clean any other part of the product.
How to Clean and take care of an Air Fryer
Cleaning and care of an Air Fryer is quick and easy but specific cleaning depends on the brand you acquire. Most on the list have dishwasher-safe parts but some require a soft or non-abrasive sponge and some soap and water. The best thing to do is after a user makes sure that the device is cooled down as to avoid unwanted burns.
Then remove the dishwasher-safe parts and place in the dishwasher. The heating element will need to be hand-washed with a soft sponge so as not to damage the coating or element itself. Light soap and warm water are best. Wash off any oil or food debris, rinse off and dry. Once everything is cleaned and dried, store in a place that it is easily accessible because you will be using it often.
No matter which Air fryer review you use in your decision, if the air fryer comes from this list you are making a great and informed choice. An Air fryer is the only appliances that can deliver the fried taste of traditional fried food without the added calories and fat.
With little to no oil used and hot air, air fryers have the capability to give you delicious as well as health-conscious foods in a quick and easy manner. More than that though an Air Fryer helps eliminate several household appliances and clear up space in the kitchen. When utilized it can save time, space and calories by just being made available in your kitchen. Buy one today and you will not be disappointed.